April 22, 2010

What did you learn?

"So, what did you learn?"

Huh? I stared back at my friend as I was temporarily thrown-off by her question. I'd been back for over 6 weeks and no one had asked me this yet. "What do you mean, what did I learn? Didn't you follow our blog?, I puzzled, "I wrote about everything, well... almost everything..."

A flashback to the numerous places Dyl & I visited and people we met during our travels flooded my thoughts. What had I learned? That America's history is both captivating & controversial; that I would become enamored by Lincoln as I learned about this charming and intelligent man; that the places we visited deemed 'National Historic Treasures' are some of the most spectacular places I've been to in North America thus far; that as small as the world may seem - it's not! What, in addition to everything I'd seen and experienced, had I learned?? Perhaps that I dislike travelling in cold weather, resorting to frozen dinners, and that I can't stand public facilities?!?

"Yes of course I read your blog" my friend interrupted my thoughts, "but what did you learn from this trip? What did you get out of it?" What did I learn? What did I learn?! ... Oh, wait a minute... I see... I got it. And a glass (or two) of wine later, what I had "learned" was rolling off my tongue...

That time keeps going whether you're going with it, or not ...but that we certainly have the ability control (slow) the pace if we really want to choose to.

To live for the moment and to be IN the moment - enjoy the present and take care of tomorrow when it arrives.

To pause and absorb every detail - take in as much as possible as you never know when or if you will ever visit or be in the current situation again; no regrets!

That I could live with basic necessities (food, clothing & a roof over my head), and that I didn't 'need' my huge collection of shoes, closet-loads of clothes and other 'things' to enjoy the journey.

That yes, we can all get along - as proven by my living side-by-side, 24/7, for weeks on end in a shoebox with my husband! - all we have to do is choose to.

That the only way to fulfill a dream is to live it - to dream the dream is ok but to make it come true is far more rewarding, even if it means taking a risk in life.

"Ok, ok... I got it... sounds like you learned a lot " she interrupted again before I could fire off my next thought... yeah I suppose we sure did. And every moment from Maine, where we started our trip, to the furthest south we got to in the Florida Keys has become sewn into the cloth of our memories that will last a lifetime.

We only get one kick at the can, so best to make the most of it! That's what I learned! ;)

1 comment:

  1. Those are great lessons Janet, and its true, its always good to reflect on what came out of the experience besides some great photos and memories.

    ReplyDelete