May 15, 2010

#8 - Cheat on your hairdresser

I've been seeing my hairstylist for the past 20 yrs. At one point in his notable career, Chazz was styling runway models in NYC, Paris, Milan; starring in his own television program doing makeovers (waaaay before makeovers of every variety were as mainstream on TV as they are today); launching his own cosmetic line; and employing over 25 stylists at his salon & spa. His hectic schedule meant that he was frequently out of town which often times, left me with no other alternative but to stray. However, I didn't stray too far as I was booking appts with stylists from his own shop, so it's not like I was really cheating. Thankfully, he's settled in Oakville now - he sold his shop to get out of the 'rat race' of the styling world so that he could slow things down and focus on his other budding career as a painter. Working out of his very own art gallery/salon, he's very accessible now - lucky for me!

When I was out of the country for 5 months, I dared not get my haircut anywhere or by anyone - I was saving my unmanageable mane that was growing increasingly longer by the minute for him. That all changed this past Friday when I met a friend of a friend who was flaunting MY next hairstyle! Next thing I new, I was getting the name & number of her stylist and flipping through my calendar for available dates!

Don't get me wrong - Chazz is the crème de la crème as far as stylists go (although I bet we all say that of our stylists, huh?) but really, he has NEVER disappointed. In fact, at one point in his career he was considering moving to NYC, so I threatened to kill him if he ever left Toronto. He never left, and I never would have killed him but I was utterly mortified at the prospect of having to find someone else who was as perfectly amazing at their craft as him. He knows precisely where to part my hair; that I like bangs long enough to tuck behind my ear; that when I say trim, he trims AND spends an hour doing so; and when I say 'let's go drastic change' (something I used to ceremoniously do each year for the company Christmas party), he has total carte blanche to do whatever he wants and I walk out of the salon in love with my new hair and him. He is perfection, beyond perfection and so now, here I am, admitting to you that I'm thinking of cheating on him... and I have absolutely no valid reason for needing to.

So when this friend of a friend, let's call her Pam for simplicity's sake, turned the corner and walked into my world, I fell in love with her hair and instantly needed to know who cut it! While I haven't booked my appt with her stylist yet, I plan on it. I'm in desperate need of a cut AND I want Pam's hair! I want it now! Of course, time will tell if her stylist is as 'amazing' as she claims. Will he know who this Pam person I'm referring to is? Will he actually remember the cut he gave her? Will mine turn out the same, better, or... worse? Time will tell indeed. But here's the thing, no matter what happens - good or bad - my hair WILL grow back and it will beckon for Chazz as it always does. I just have to make sure that the next time I see him, I'm prepared with a response to the 'I didn't cut this last, did I?' question he's bound to ask.

Just remember, that while you might consider cheating on your stylist, you will get caught. Whether or not they're comfortable or bold enough to ask, a truly talented stylist that treats each customer as his one and only, will know without a doubt that you strayed but a truly talented and professional one, will also be happy that you came back.

8 down, 92 to go!

No comments:

Post a Comment