June 10, 2010

#11 - Purge!

The past couple of days have found hubby & I buried in our 2 basement crawl spaces under piles upon piles of ... how should I put it?... CRAP! Useless, needless things that we've accumulated over the past 8 years and banished to our basement instead of where it really belonged, the trash. And I ask, why?!?! Why did it takes us so long to finally purge?

The answer is simple - procrastination and attachment. Why however, were we attached to pre-historic computers (we had 3!!!) and old college textbooks from 100 years ago!??!! I have no idea to be honest. I suppose that perhaps we felt that we'd "refer to the books again one day" or maybe that we'd "refurbish the PCs or salvage parts from them?" ... but we never did. And what was our excuse for hoarding the other boxes upon boxes of old magazines, artwork, school projects, trophies, clothes and other memorabilia? C'mon, you and I both know that it's easier to move boxes from one room to another (or in our case, the basement), versus spending an hour, or two, or three of your life thoroughly inspecting their contents to determine what stays and what goes... and that's where this kicks in:

Well, we finally got off the procrastination train, and reserving a very tiny degree of 'attachment', we ruthlessly started our purge party! Once we got going, it was relatively painless and quick. We took everything into our family room and created 3 piles: trash, keep, and sell or give-away. Things we decided to keep were neatly re-packed in stackable plastic storage totes and the rest was escorted to our garage to be either thrown out next garbage day or neatly piled away for a garage sale or kijiji.

Our basement has been purged of things that, instead of holding onto, should have been tossed to the curb years ago. But now that we have an orderly basement, we're going to be very scrupulous with what gets stored down there!


11 down - 89 to go!

No comments:

Post a Comment