March 28, 2010

#1 - Get a facial peel

Yesterday I spoiled myself with a facial peel. It had been over 6 months since my last one and man, how I really missed it!

The first peel I ever had was when I was in my mid-20s and worked downtown. I remember sitting in my dermatologist's office waiting for a shot of cortisone for an underground subway zit that hurt like hell and noticed a poster whose caption (printed over a woman's dull looking face) read, "tired of looking tired? ask about our facial peels." And so I did. Dr Solish (one of the best cosmetic derm's in TO!) gave me an explanation about the product and procedure, and right after, I was booking an appointment. A week later, I was dropping 100 bucks and having my first ever glycolic acid peel! The procedure was quick (had it over lunch hour) and didn't hurt at all but rather, felt like a mild sunburn. Once the acid was neutralized with water, the tingling and mild burning sensation was gone. My skin no longer looked dull or gray, instead a healthy 'glow' emerged from my cheeks and my skin felt lighter... brighter. The next day I had some minor flaking but within a few days my skin was looking fresh and revitalized! From that day forward, I was hooked! Glycolic acid & I would become really good friends. I love the shedding of the skin (literally & figuratively speaking) and how over time, the peels have helped erase some of those dreaded wrinkles.

Peels are used to improve the texture, tone and appearance of ones skin. A chemical solution gets applied to the surface of the skin which causes it to slough off after a few days to a week, depending upon the type of chemical used. Afterward, the skin has a healthier glow and appears younger looking.

If you're 40'ish and have never had one - I highly recommend trying it. You won't be sorry for investing in your outward appearance and before you know it, you'll be hooked and working this into your regular skincare routine too! And guys, these treatments aren't just limited to us women, you can - and should - get them too!

There are all sorts of chemical peels with different levels of intensity out there, so if you've never had one best to start with something mild before cranking up the chemicals and ending up with a smoldering epidermis. A good Dr. will assess your skin in order to determine the best treatment, and if you are dark-skinned, he or she should take extra precautions in assessing appropriate treatment. Just make sure that whatever you do, consult a professional dermatologist before undergoing treatment anywhere.

1 down, 99 to go!

No comments:

Post a Comment