July 10, 2010

#14 - Make your own cupcakes!

It was my birthday the other day and so for a special treat, I decided to fulfil my craving for a yummy cupcake. In waiting at the bakery counter to be served, my mind drifted back to an incident that took place at work a year or so ago.

For some sponteneous reason, I decided that I wanted to bake cupcakes for my colleauges at work; I think largely due to the fact that I was on a kick to master the art of homemade cream-cheese icing. In proclaiming my desires to a fellow co-worker, she decided she wanted to join in on the action and do the same. Fine by me as we had a pretty large team so the more cupcakes, the better!

The next day, I waltzed in with my bag of treats - vanilla and chocolate cupcakes that I had baked the night before then lathered in generous amounts of cream-cheese icing (which by the way, turned out 'ok' but not exactly to my desired specs). In discussing where to put out our treats, my fellow co-worker chose to advise me that her cupcakes weren't homemade but rather, store bought. Fine, whatever... a cupcake's a cupcake I thought, until she continued that she had scraped off the hard sugary "crap" and then re-iced them with the spreadable ready-made Duncan Hines stuff, AND THEN punctuated her story with, "Don't tell anyone though!"
Perhaps arming me with this information relieved her of a sense of guilt? but what was I supposed to do with it? I rationalized that store-bought-disguised-as-homemade cupcakes weren't going to kill anyone and after all, this was her deceipt not mine. And while I kept her dirty lil' secret all iced-up as she graciously accepted gratitude and compliments for her baking, I realized that anyone willing to lie to their fellow work mates about something as insignificant as cupcakes was sure enough to lie about anything.


A person's integrity goes a long way and while it takes years to build someone's trust, it only takes seconds to break it. Oh how true!


14 down - 86 to go!

1 comment:

  1. Sacriledge!! And she even BOUGHT the "new" icing!! You are better at keeping secrets than me Janet, I would have totally spilled those beans...

    ReplyDelete