Stats source: Canadian Cancer Society / National Cancer Institute of Canada; U.S. Breast Cancer.Org
At my last doctor's visit, I decided that I wanted to have a more thorough breast exam as part of my screening and so today, I had my first mammography exam at the Credit Valley Hospital X-Ray and Ultrasound Clinic in Mississauga. The exam itself wasn't as uncomfortable as I thought it would be and the staff were pleasant, professional and thoughtful. Results will arrive at my doctor's office in about a week's time where I expect to get the "all clear!"
Routine breast screening and early detection are key in fighting and surviving this disease. Regular self-examinations (see chart, inset, or go to Breast Cancer Society of Canada for printer-friendly version), clinical exams by your practitioner, and mammograms all help in reducing the number of women who die of breast cancer. In the province of Ontario, mammograms are recommended every 2 years for women over 50. However if you are between 40 and 49, you can speak to your doctor about early screening.
15 down; 85 to go
No comments:
Post a Comment